Drake Neighborhood Association

January Board Meeting

Members in attendance:

Larry James, Trisha Davis, Jennifer Lawler, David Courard-Hauri, Ed Robinson, Tony Schmitt, Jennifer Sayers, Janelle Carr, Carl McPhearson

Minutes recorded by Janelle Carr

Treasurer's Report-Trish Davis

$9718.28 in DNA account.

Beautification Committee

Meeting changed to 3rd Wednesday of each month.

House Tour Committee-Jennifer Lawler

Grants for beautification

Neighborhood clean up

Use Drake Relays as target for House Tour posters to be put up throughout the neighborhood.

Discussed the possibility of a banner for House Tour to be put on University & 25th Streets.

Neighborhood Based Service Delivery-Jeff

Recent trip to Nashville, TN discussed, discussed success ofDrake Neighborhood NBSD.

Tactical unit working to resolve rash of burglaries in December and January.

Program working well on Junk and Debris complaints.

Panhandling complaints are down.

Possible expansion of NBSD

Ed Robinson

City trash bins are being left at curbs past the allotted time frame.  Letters sent to landlords with repeat trash bin violations.  Repeat offenders are subject to civil infractions, with a court date and a $500.00 fine.  This process takes time to move through the system.

Other possible solutions are being explored to get trash bins off of the curb past the allotted time.

Drake University-Larry James

Four arrests were made in robberies.

Giving Tree-400 presents we distributed among 40 families,

Drake Business Association-Larry James

Restructuring the business association, increased interest among Drake area businesses.

Creating new by-laws.

Meeting times have been changed to the 3rd Wednesday at 9:00 a.m.

Increased focus on beautification.

DNA 25th Anniversary-Larry James

Event to celebrate 25th Anniversary proposed for this summer or fall.

January 24 meeting at the home of Jim Dietz-Kielan to discuss 25th Anniversary plans.

DNA Website-Larry

Working on redesigning the website, with updates on a more regular basis.

More information will be available on line.

Looking into the cost of accepting credit card payments for DNA membership on line.

Newsletter-Larry

Amanda Kuhl, a Drake University student will be working on the newsletter.

Call for column or story ideas to interested individuals.

New Business

Tony Schmitt moved to donate $750.00 to the Thresholds Arts Festival to be held February 26-29.  Trisha Davis moved to donate $500.00 instead of $750.00.  The move was seconded and put to a vote. 5 in favor, 4 opposed   The moved passed to donate $750.00 to the Thresholds Art Festival.  Vote to be held at next board meeting.

Zoning Update-Larry

Impact of development in the neighborhood.  The city is planning to update zoning definitions.  The last time zoning was updated was 1965.

Schedule of public meetings is posted on the cityÕs website.

DNA will remain actively interested and involved in the zoning updates as the issue progresses.

Neighborhood Leadership Development-Larry James

Trish Davis and Jennifer Lawler will take part in the leadership development program offered by Making Connections and the Annie E. Casey Foundation.  The 12-week class will be held on SaturdayÕs from 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.  The goal of the 12-week class is to promote neighborhood involvement.

Grant Opportunity-Jen James

Possible grant opportunity through the National Trust for Historic Preservation.  The grant is worth up to $10,000. to help with planning of preservation resources.

Jen will work with Drake University, Drake Business Association, and the City to obtain letters of intent.

Larry James made a motion to proceed with applying for the grant.  The motion was seconded and unanimously passed.

Annual Planning Meeting-Larry James

Meeting to be held at LarryÕs house on January 17 at 10:00 a.m. to review the progress of the past year and work on committee assignments for this year.

Quarterly Meeting to be held on February 7 at 6:00 p.m. Items to be discussed include: lowering the speed limit on Kingman & Cottage Grove and zoning update.

Membership-Trisha Davis

Trish discussed the possibility of having three levels of membership.

Membership list needs to be updated.  Volunteers are needed to call members to update their information.